Angels in America: A Review

I read this play for an acting class I took, and for the final exam performed a scene from it where I played a drug-addicted woman who suspects her husband is sleeping with men. (She happens to be right, but her reality is so spun she doesn't even know for sure). In the scene she and her husband confront each other about their secrets, It was so intense I cried. Especially after my acting partner pushed me against the wall trying to stop my character from leaving. He spun me around, got right in my face and said that line "you're not pretty, not like this" he had these beautiful intense brown eyes, and he was a really good actor, and in that moment I totally believed him. That we were married, that he was cheating, that I wasn't pretty, and my back had hit that wall so hard, I think it startled us both! I think he was just so good at acting, that it made me good in that moment as well! The whole class was just silent and staring at us. It was crazy! More than that, I just think the material was so incredible. . . just an excellent play, really. I need to read it again. . . I will always feel so intensely for the characters and their circumstances. Angels in America is one of the most striking and memorable plays I think I've ever read.


Comments

Popular Posts